What is insomnia?
Insomnia is lack of sleep, or the ability to maintain sleep throughout the night. According to ejog, 44.2% and 63.7% of insomnia cases occurred in the first and third trimesters, respectively.
What Causes Insomnia During Pregnancy?
In the first trimester, hormonal imbalances greatly attribute to sleep disorders. Stress also contributes to sleep deprivation. New mothers-to-be are often anxious about being a new mother, delivery, and the labor process.
Other factors responsible for restlessness include:
Diet causing stomach discomfort at night
Constant bathroom visits
Shortness of breath
Restless legs and leg cramps
Simple Remedies for Insomnia During Pregnancy
1. Lifestyle Overhaul
Work on your diet and sleep. Incorporate the following:
• Drink lots of water during the day but limit the intake hours at bedtime. This will help you avoid frequent trips to the bathroom.
• Steer clear of coffee, strong tea, and spicy foods. Caffeine keeps you awake for long durations and limits iron ingestion for the baby. Excessively spicy foods often cause heartburn and bloating, thus keeping you awake.
• Pull the plug on screens before bedtime. The blue light from mobile screens, tablets, and televisions often affects your eyes and may keep you awake throughout the night.
• Feed to sleep. Adopt a healthy diet that won’t cause you any stomach discomfort and will facilitate seamless digestion. Try having your dinner early and refrain from going to bed while hungry. A warm glass of milk also attracts sleep greatly.
• Exercise. Be active during the day to attract sleep easily. Take a 30-45 minute walk daily, or even jog.
• Take a warm bath and have your partner massage you.
• Keep your bedroom cool, dark and quiet. Tranquil environments help to attract sleep.
• Install a meditation app on your phone to calm you down.
2. Medication and supplements for insomnia
Control your restless legs by adopting folic acid and iron-rich foods. Folic acid nourishes pregnancies by forming healthy red blood cells and lubricating the gut.
There are so many options for supportive supplements. To get recommendations based on your unique circumstances, contact us today.
3. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
CBT helps to counter restlessness by changing ones thought cycles. CBT relaxes the mind from unnecessary stress, tension and grief. You thus consolidate your thoughts and exude positive energy all throughout.
There are many other forms of holistic modalities and therapies that may help you through insomnia during pregnancy.
Lack of sleep when expectant is ubiquitous. With minor changes, it is possible to conquer insomnia. We’d love to help.